When working in a specialized headache treatment clinic, we often hear the arguments listed below. We hope that by reading this book, you understand what the most common mistakes are and can correct your actions.
The truth is that with migraines you do a lot of things yourself. You must take the right medications correctly and on time, lead a way of life in order to avoid provocateurs of migraine as much as possible, and follow the rest of the recommendations given in the book. The doctor may periodically monitor your condition and select a treatment that will make the seizures more rare. But after leaving the clinic, you will again be left alone with your illness. That is why it is so important to carefully read the information contained in previous chapters and learn how to manage migraines.
So, we give the most common misconceptions of patients suffering from migraine:
• During an attack, it is better not to drink the pills – they are harmful.
• It is better not to take a pill – the headache will pass by itself.
• It is better not to take a pill – wait for vomiting (I will go to sleep).
• Tablets should be drunk only with a very strong headache.
• Pills should be drunk as soon as there were unpleasant sensations in the head – and immediately two pieces to be sure.
• At work I take a pill when I have time.
• I am planning to get pregnant this month – do something with my migraine.
• I am pregnant – you can not drink pills.
• The doctor prescribed an antidepressant for migraine treatment – I will not drink it, but I do not have depression.
• All week I sleep very little – I sleep on the weekends.
• My husband says I’m just being naughty.
• I have had a headache for 40 years, I take 3-4 tablets of Pentalgin every day – there is no more strength. Doctor, make it all stop tomorrow.
• In the morning it seemed to me that my head might ache, and I had an important meeting. I will take a pill for prevention.
And now briefly recall the action algorithms during a migraine attack. So, what to do if you have a headache?
Migraine without aura
1. Lie down to rest in a darkened room, try to avoid bright and flickering light.
2. Take effective pain killer and motilium (cerrucal).
3. Wash down the pills with plenty of water.
4. Eat a little if you haven’t eaten anything for a long time.
5. Make a soft massage of the face, head, neck muscles and shoulders. Try to relax.
6. If possible, try to sleep.
7. If you have mastered the techniques of general relaxation and muscle relaxation, perform the appropriate exercises.
Migraine with aura
1. If you are driving, park immediately.
2. At the beginning of the aura, take two tablets of soluble aspirin and one tablet of motilium.
3. If the pain has begun, wait until the end of the aura and take one tablet of triptan.
4. Wash down the pills with plenty of water.
5. Lie down to rest in a darkened room, try to avoid bright and flickering light.
6. Eat a little if you haven’t eaten anything for a long time.
7. Make a soft massage of the face, head, neck muscles and shoulders. Try to relax.
8. If possible, try to sleep.
9. If you have mastered the methods of general relaxation and muscle relaxation, perform the appropriate exercises.